Thursday, February 12, 2015

Proud Momma Moment: My Daughter's Rant

feminism, daughters, secular parenting, homeschool
Elizabeth thinks of herself as very introverted ...and she can be. But these days she is really out there taking chances, making friends, opening up, and blossoming. 
I love it that she is hanging out with people from very different backgrounds and with very different ideals.

The other day she told me about a conversation she had on campus with a guy that she hangs out with, a guy named Allen. Allen was looking for the "cons" of homeschooling.  The exchange went something like this:

Elizabeth:  Why are you looking for the cons of homeschooling?
Allen:  Because my girlfriend is taking her seven-year-old son out of school again. This is the second time.
Elizabeth:  Why?
Allen:  Because he is getting bullied pretty bad again.

Elizabeth: I'm confused; why do you not want your girlfriend to take her little boy out of school?
Allen:  Because he needs to learn to stay and face up to his abusers.

Elizabeth:  No, he needs to learn that if someone is abusing you, you leave. Period.
Allen:  No, he needs to learn that you stay and fight.
Elizabeth:  No, this seven year old needs to learn that his mother hears him and is responding to his needs.

Allen:  No, you are wrong.
Elizabeth:  No, Allen. I promise you, you are wrong.

Allen:  You are a cute little girl; what do you know?
Elizabeth:  Huh?
Allen: You are just a cute little girl. What you have to say doesn't mean much to me.

Elizabeth:  Oh really, how about when I was helping you figure out how to fill out the job applications the other day? Did what I have to say mean something to you then?
Allen: I mean that men have better opinions.
Elizabeth:  Really?  Are you aware that you are talking to the biggest feminist on campus?
Allen:  OH, did the feminists put these ideas into your head?
Elizabeth:  Allen, you don't know me, but no one puts ideas into my head. My head is full of its own ideas.
Allen:  How cute you are.
Elizabeth: Never disrespect me again by suggesting that I am nothing but cute. I am strong and fierce and I have no interest in talking with a person who thinks like you do.  *Gets up and walks away. Comes home and tells me the ten thousand things she wishes she would have said.*

Don't worry, Elizabeth, there are more Allens in the world;
you will get to say all of that!



GO MY GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!


I have gotten negative comments on the pic
of Elizabeth flipping me off
(OR, as she says "Flicking me off")  ;)
What do you think of the pic?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Other Posts You Might Enjoy:
Growing Pains
Dear Me:  Being the Mom
A Parental Confession
Shooshy:  Raising My Daughter
How I Planned to be as a Parent

1 comment:

Leave a comment!