Friday, August 21, 2015

What I Haven't Mentioned...

atheist blog

What I haven't mentioned here yet is this.
My sister was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, so I'm out in Colorado with her as she has her mastectomy (four days ago), begins radiation therapy (in four days), and chemotherapy (at some point quite soon).

She and I are very, very different human beings and are having some interesting conversations about life, its meaning, its value, mortality, and about a million other things.

She is pretty woo-ey about everything and I think she's frustrated with my pragmatic way. She's quite annoyed with me, actually. I've told her I'm willing to use the verbiage of her choice, but she would know that I was faking it. We are both waaaaay too interested in authenticity in a relationship to fake it.

Brenda and I as Big Sky Point, 9000 ft.
I find that she is talking with her friends about how frustrated and annoyed that she actually is with me. She's entitled.

SO, just in case you wonder if actually looking at mortality changes or diminishes the beauty of being an atheist, I'm here to tell you that it does not! In fact, it is simple and sensible.
 
~~~~~~~~~~
 
In the meantime, I'm enjoying the amazing view at 9000 feet and the hourly changing appearance of beautiful Pike's Peak, we are enjoying ourselves, learning how to use juicing to her health benefit, maintaining our optimism, expanding my sister's posse of bad ass women in the area, and valuing these moments together.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You might also enjoy:

What if You're Wrong?
Rebirth, Renewel, Renaissance 

4 comments:

  1. This book is really helping my cousin. The Cancer Fighting Kitchen, by Rebecca Katz. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!